THE ORIGINAL CALVARY CHAPEL
One Hundred Years of Service
Calvary Baptist church began in 1910 as a Sunday School sponsored by members of First Baptist Church
The first meetings were held in the homes of Mr. and Mrs.
John J. Davenport and Mr. and Mrs. W. Z. Jones. The first house of worship was
built by Mr. F. W. Monnish as a memorial to his son, Sage.
On January 1, 1911, The Sage A. Monnish Memorial Baptist
Church was organized with seventy-seven (77) charter members.
The Reverend John Henry Barber served as the first pastor
from 1911 to 1913. He was succeeded by:
Reverend L. T. Reeves: 1913-1919
Reverend E. L. Edens: 1919-1922
Reverend Judson R. Martin: 1922-1927
Reverend A. D. Kennett: 1928-1933
During 1925 there was both growth and tragedy.
Three additional lots were donated by Mrs. F. W. Monnish and
construction began on a new building. Mr. W. H. Nichols served as chairman of
the building committee and Mr. H. A. Edwards, Sr. as treasurer. At this time,
upon the request of the Monnish family, the name of the church was changed to Calvary Baptist Church.
On December 5, 1925, both the old and almost completed
new building were destroyed by fire. Plans were made immediately to rebuild.
The new sanctuary was completed and the first service was held exactly one year
later on December 5, 1926.
Dr. Horace G. Williams served as pastor from 1933 until his
retirement in March, 1960. He was elected Pastor Emeritus and served in this
position until his death in 1982.
Dr. Allan R. Watson came to Calvary
as pastor in 1960 and served until his retirement in October, 1984. He was
elected Pastor Emeritus in 1987.
Calvary has demonstrated
mission commitment through church starting and assistance both locally and
Forest Lake Baptist began as a Mission Sunday School
sponsored by Calvary.
South Highlands Baptist
Ridgecrest Baptist Church,
Skyland Boulevard Baptist Church, 1962
Lakeview Baptist Church
Assistance to Lakeside Mission, Pittsburgh, PA
Assistance to Wood Village Baptist Church, Tuscaloosa
Assistance to Baptist Church in Quaquil, Ecuador
Dr. Timothy L. Owings served as pastor from April 1986
through April 1990. Under his leadership Calvary
completely renovated the educational buildings and upgraded parking.
In January 1991, Dr. Bruce G. Chesser was called as the 9th
pastor of Calvary
He lead Calvary until 2003. Great advances
were made to both the buildings and ministry of Calvary.
In August 2004, Dr. Walter Jackson was called as the tenth
Pastor of Calvary Baptist Church. Under his leadership, improvements were made to Calvary's facilities and an additional hour of both worship and small groups were added.
In 2009, Calvary called our
current pastor, Dr. Tim Lovett. In just two years, Calvary
has been invigorated with a renewed sense of purpose and direction to serve our
community and bring God's love to our broken world.
In January of 2011, we celebrated our centennial birthday with worship, service, and reflection. We are looking forward to the next 100 years of ministry to Tuscaloosa and the world.
The tornado of April 27, 2011 brought a new era of ministry to Calvary. In response to the destruction of sections of our city, Calvary lived out the story of God in our community in new ways. As a body, we were changed by this season of ministry, and we have committed to continuing to this level of service to our city.
While our history is bright we are convinced that our
greatest days are yet to come.